Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I replace my backup battery?
It is very important to replace your backup battery. In the event of a power outage, your landline phone and internet services over the nbn™ network will not work if the battery has lost charge or has been removed.
How do I recycle my old battery?
The Sealed Lead Batteries used in your nbn™ Power Supply Unit are recyclable. However, these batteries contain hazardous waste and cannot be disposed of in your household bin. Please take your old battery to a specialist recycling centre.
How long does a Battery Backup last during a power outage?
If you have a Power Supply with Battery Backup, your nbn™ connection box will continue to be powered for approximately five hours during a power outage.
- When approximately 40% of the battery charge is remaining (after about 3 to 3.5 hours), the power supply will automatically turn off to preserve the remaining charge for emergency use.
- When you need to use the remaining charge press the emergency reserve button and within a few minutes your services will operate for the remaining approximately 1.5 to 2 hours.
How can I maintain and keep my new battery topped up?
To ensure the backup battery works when you need it, please maintain it by reading the following advice:
- Regularly check the battery indicators lights on your Battery Backup Unit and pay attention to audible alarms, If you hear a beep once every 15 minutes this means either your battery needs replacing or the battery has been removed.
- When your battery is used as indicated in the nbn™ User Guide, it will age to about 70% of its original capacity in around three to five years.
- Your battery can age sooner if not kept at room temperature (around 20 degrees). Warmer temperatures can accelerate aging of the battery.
- Turning the power on and off frequently will cause the battery to age earlier and reach 70% of its capacity in around one to two years.
- Extremely cold conditions (less than -1 degrees Celsius) may cause the battery to run out more quickly.
- For further information regarding your power supply, download the nbn™ User Guide